Friday, September 9, 2011

Advances in Schools

Since the school year is now in full swing and in Mackenzie's class, tests are being taken, spelling words are being learned, and this year, I can track it all online. This year the girl's school finally has the school website fully up and going to where I can log into the school grade book and look at both Mackenzie and Kylie's grades. It also keeps track of their attendance, announcements, homework, grades, and their lunch account. I think its very convenient, especially the lunch account function. It's nice being able to check daily to make sure that the kids got their lunch and it was charged and have a daily updated balance for each girl.

What's also nice is being able to check on Mackenzie's account in each individual subject to look at the grades. I can even print off a detailed report of each subject, including her extra classes, which consist of physical education (twice a week), Art, music, and guidance. Her extra classes have had no grades posted but her core subjects, math, phonics, reading, spelling, and English all have started having their grades posted. I know we get the papers sent home that has the grade written down, but its nice to see the cumulative grade, and actually have a grade point average.

I also found today that I can track the AR (advanced readers) reading tests that Mackenzie takes, which are done on the computer. The AR reading test consists of Mackenzie picking out a book out of a certain collection of books that she reads independently during class. After she is though reading the book she then goes to the computer in her class, logs on and then takes a test over the book she just read. She has taken one so far and got 3 out of 5 questions right about it. I don't think that is so bad.

I don't expect the girls to always receive "A's" but have told them that as long as they tried their hardest and as long as it is not a "d" or "f" I will be happy with their effort. I know I never made straight "A's" in class, but maybe they will be better than I was.

Till Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment