Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Explanation to a 6 year old..........

With all the news reports and coverage over the upcoming anniversary on 9/11 I have wondered if the girls school has talked about what happened. I asked Mackenzie this evening if her teacher had mentioned anything about it and she said that she hasn't talked about it. Then came the question, "What happened? Why is it important?"

I should have known asking her if she had discussed it in school would prompt her to ask about it. She said it was important and she has seen and heard the news reports on TV about it and seen the twin towers, or the big tall buildings on fire, as she put it. so I told her the best way I could of what happened.

As I explained it to her, I just mentioned that a group of bad people took and stole 4 airplanes and wanted to do bad things. They ran the airplanes into some buildings, which did a lot of damage. That is when she replied, "and one was in an empty field somewhere right?" I guess she knew that from listening to the news report about the plane that crashed in the field. She asked if anyone died from the planes, and of course I told her that a lot of people died that day. Then she asked when it happened. I told her almost 10 years ago, and that when it happened I was in high school. That was pretty much it except for making sure that President Obama wasn't hurt day. Trying to explain to her that he was not the president then was not easy, but I finally have her convinced he was not at Washington or New York that day, which sufficed as an answer.

I have a feeling she will ask her teacher about it also tomorrow or Friday. Leave it to Mackenzie though to ask about things like that and worry about other people who were hurt. I love that she has such a big heart and usually always thinks of other people first.I hope that part of her personality always stays with her!  Hopefully, for now at least, our conversation today will be good to last for a while of what happened back then.

Till Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment