Monday, August 15, 2011

Welcome Back Routine!

Being the beginning of the school year it sometimes gets a little hectic in the mornings around here. This year is no different besides now getting two kids ready and off for school. I am not big on making the kids follow a certain routine every day so I've never done that. The only thing regular we did do was nap time when they were little but I don't make Gabryle take a nap every day at the same time anymore. I watch and see when he needs it then lay him down. The only thing for sure that I do every day for sure though, is make sure we have homework done right when we get home from school before the afternoon cartoons begin on PBS.

Waking up at 630 to get both girls up, dressed, feed and off to school has actually been pretty easy around here. The girls are usually awake when I walk in to make sure they are up and they are either just getting out of bed or already getting dressed. Jerrod takes them to school while Gabryle and I stay at home, and then Gabryle and I pick them up. When we get home I have two folders to go through, Kylie's I do first since hers is pretty much just looking at the new sticker she has earned for being good or doing good on something in class and any notes sent home from the PIA (Parents In Action) or notes about upcoming school events. Mackenzie's is the one that will take the longest this year. Along with the notes from the school office they send every child, we will have homework. Today is day three of school and she already has homework.

She started with her reader which she did great on and then we did her sight word list. She did pretty well with that one with a few times needing help on a word. As she finished up I looked at the sheet her teacher sent home and it has the next four weeks worth of homework listed on it. Monday through Thursday she will for sure have at least a reader coming home for me to listen to her read, and sign the paper, then she will also have her sight word list brought home. In about six weeks she will begin her spelling homework.

I don't think it will take Mackenzie long to get used to the new routine of having homework everyday, especially if she finds it as easy as she did today. She did get a little mixed up in her words on the sight word list, but from watching her it looked like she kept looking at the next word more than the word she was on. Hopefully when she gets her glasses at the end of the week that will help her see the words much better and we can go from there! She does great at her reading which I am thrilled about. She loves to read and I bet when she gets even better at reading she will start reading more at home than she does now!

Till Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment