Monday, December 19, 2011

Homemade Colored Sugar!!

our 3 colors. Purple, Green and
yellow.
Christmas is less than a week away and the girls are ready to make cookies for Santa. One thing I forgot to get and really have no big worry of going to the store to get is colored sugar. I am not a big fan of the holiday shopping madness. I did research online and found you can actually make colored sugar in your kitchen.
Green colored sugar we made
All you need is some Sugar and some food coloring, whether it be the liquid food coloring, the Wilton Gel Food coloring or the packets of dry food coloring. (If you use the packet of dry food coloring, mix it with a few drops of an edible alcohol based clear liquid.) I used the Wilton Brand Food Color Gel. It's what I always use for decorating and need to color things.
Yellow Colored Sugar we made
Put the desired amount of sugar you want colored in a clean dry bowl, then add as little or as much of the color you desire. Start mixing well with a fork until the color is mixed evenly throughout. After a little bit I just used my fingers once the majority of the food coloring was coated in a little sugar. It seemed to mix better using my fingers. Once you have the desired color set it aside and let is dry completely! Once it is completely dry you will need to break up the sugar and then store in a Ziploc baggie or a Tupperware container and use when needed.
Purple Colored Sugar we made
It was quick and easy to do! I always have plain white sugar and always have food coloring around, so it will be great knowing I can make colored sugar whenever I need, and in a specific color if needed.Hope you give it a try!
All in all, this year Santa's cookies will be made entirely from scratch. I have a sugar cookie we will try, along with a new Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe we will try, that allows you to roll it out and cut out shapes like sugar cookie dough. I'll let you know how that one turns out also!!

Till Next Time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment