Thursday, November 17, 2011

Early Thanksgiving

With Thanksgiving next week, that means the girls will have a few days of vacation from school. Due to them only being at school twice next week, the school held their annual Family Thanksgiving dinner today at lunch. All parents and younger or older siblings who might not be in school are invited to come and eat with their students during lunch and have a traditional Thanksgiving Meal. They serve turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, green beans, giblet gravy, hot rolls, chocolate chip cookies and my favorite, the cranberry sauce from the can with no cranberries in it.
Due to the higher volume of people in the cafeteria with this meal, they change up the lunch times for the students so there is plenty of seating in the cafeteria for everyone. Instead of getting to eat with both the girls at one time, I went up to eat with Kylie and then Jerrod went up to eat with Mackenzie. Kylie's lunch was from 10:30 to 10:55. Yes that is early, but its just fifteen minutes earlier than what they are used to eating anyway. It does explain a little why Kylie is always so hungry when she gets home from school. (The fact that she doesn't eat her lunch also has to do with it also. Lately she has been a very picky eater!)
I never told Kylie that I would be eating with her today, so when she saw me as she came out of her classroom she was thrilled to see me. She came up to me and says "What are you doing here?"
my response, "I'm eating lunch with you."
"Okay cool."
We went in and I bought my ticket and we got our food. The tray was full and Kylie was afraid of dropping her food so she got help to carry her tray and we went and sat at one of the big round tables they had set up for extra space. She was thrilled she got to eat at the big peoples table and not the little tables. First thing she ate was the cookie, which was really no surprise to me. After that she ate her roll then finished off her chocolate milk then was through eating. She wouldn't even touch the turkey, dressing, potatoes or green beans.She even drank part of my tea once her milk was gone.
After we finished eating she showed me how you dump your tray at school and that  you have to be careful or you can slip and fall if there are spills in the floor.
I think her favorite part of lunch was all the Thanksgiving decorations they had up around the cafeteria. They had paper turkey's on all the tables and cutout paper leafs. They even had pumpkins and flowers on the adults drink table and where they had the cranberry sauce and the butter and silverware. She also made sure that everyone that we saw knew that her Mom got to come and eat with her. I think it made her day!
Jerrod enjoyed going and eating with Kenzie at her lunch time and maybe next year when they do it we can get them to see if we can have both the girls come to the cafeteria at once. When the girls get home later I'll get to hear all about lunch again, even though we were there. Oh well, its worth it!

Till Next Time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment