Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Bye-Bye Binkie!!

Gabryle no longer has his binkies!!! YES! That is a big accomplishment for him since he was so attached to them.

Yesterday in the early afternoon Gabryle handed me his binkie and fussed a little. I looked at it and noticed that it was shredded in parts and was about to fall apart. I cut the end off of it and handed it back to him. Jerrod has had a few customers say that to get their children off of the binkie they would slowly cut the end back further and further till there was nothing left on the binkie, so I snipped the end off. I handed it back to him and Gabryle just looked at it like I was crazy for handing him a binkie that was missing part of it. He stuck his finger in the opening and waved it around at me and fused a little then threw it across the living and dining room. (this boy has a good throwing arm!)

We then went and picked the girls up and Gabryle went without his binkie. When we got back home from getting the girls at school he started to fuss a little after picking up his binkie, so I told him to either get his binkie and deal with it or throw it away.  Next thing I know he runs to the bathroom and throws away the binkie in the trash can. That meant to me we would no longer use the binkie since that was the second one in a week he has thrown away.

The big question would be how would he do at bedtime? When it was time to go to bed I put the girls to bed, Gabryle ran in and gave them multiple kisses then went and jumped up in his bed with no crying or fits. He got up a few times to give the girls more kisses and would go lay back down once I came to get him out of the girls room. The last time he laid down he set his head down on the remote control he had in his bed and cried a little. I stepped out of the room and a few minutes later he was quiet and asleep with no binkie!!!!!! I was thrilled he actually did it!

Around midnight however he woke up and was up for the rest of the night it seemed. He cried for a while and I couldn't calm him down in his bed so he came and laid with me and Jerrod for a little bit. It helped until he started pointing to his room. I took him back and he was quiet for a little bit then he started crying again. This went on a few times till I finally just sat up with him in the living room. Jerrod sat with us for a little bit then went to bed since he has to work today. Finally around four I laid down on the couch and Gabryle came cuddling up next to me and was out by 4:30 AM. I got up, put him to bed and he was down till this morning when I got the girls up for school at 6:45.

During his time being awake in the middle of the night he fussed a little pointing at the bathroom. Jerrod and I looked for one of his old binkies and handed it to him after Jerrod found it and he just threw it across to the coffee table. At one point he pulled a wipe out and cleaned it off but then set it back down. Once he stuck it in his mouth but quickly pulled it out and threw it. He ultimately never wanted the binkie apparently. IT stayed within eye sight of him but he never put it back in his mouth and kept it.

As of right now I have no clue where it ended up last night. All I do know is he has gone almost 24 hours with no binkie and is doing fairly well without it. No more will be bought in this household. Hopefully he will do better tonight in the middle of the night and actually sleep.  I'll give it a few more days with no binkie and then we will start with potty training.

Till Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment