Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Con's of a Toddler Bed

Gabryle has been in a toddler bed for about six months now, which is great, but a the same time has it's disadvantages. I love how in the mornings he can get himself out of bed and go play and wake up his big sisters, and during the day he loves to go and sit in his bed while looking at books or playing with toys. However for the past few weeks, he has learned to get up in the middle of the night to try and get up in bed with Jerrod and I.

Last night has been the worst for him not staying in bed so far. Jerrod and I were up late watching movies, and about 1:15-1:20 in the middle of the night in walks Gabryle. He crawled up with me on the sofa and fell back asleep while we finished our movie. I changed his diaper since he was dirty and then put him back to bed. That may have been my mistake to start with. After that Jerrod and I went to bed then in walks in casually Gabryle. We let him lay in our bed for a few minutes and then I took him back to bed, laid him down and give him kisses then went back to my room. A few minutes later, in comes Gabryle again. I take him back to his room and this goes on a few times. The last time I took him, I sat beside his bed and rubbed the top of his head for about ten minutes  till he had seemed to be back asleep then slipped out of the kids room and went and laid down again.

Needless to say he came back in our room about five minute later. By the time we were done going back and forth between our room and his and Kylie's room it was a little after four in the morning.  By the time I fell asleep it was closer to four thirty. Luckily the next time he woke up was after seven thirty, which is around the normal time he gets up. He went and pestered Kenzie and she got up and played with him.

Hopefully this waking up in the middle of the night will pass soon. If not I am still not sure what to do to get him out of his habit of coming in our room to try and sleep. I'll try and shorten his nap time today and see how that goes for him. I put him to bed later than we usually do, thinking that would help, but I was wrong.

We shall see tonight if it helps.......

No comments:

Post a Comment