Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Salt Dough Ornaments

I came across a recipe today for Salt dough that you can use to make craft projects out of.  I have been searching the past few days for a recipe to make homemade hand print ornaments for the kids to do this year for Christmas. Every year we have a tradition of adding 1 family ornament to our collection of ornaments. So far this year we haven't really come across any pre-made ornament that we like, so I thought maybe of having the kids make their own ornaments, by doing a hand print ornament. It'll be a great keepsake, especially once they get a lot older.
I've already tried it out this morning with Gabryle, and did different sizes of dough and I believe I have found the amount that works just right. The ones that were too large ended up bubbling up where Gabryle did his hand print so those were not usable. I found the less dough you can use, the better it turns out. I baked the dough for less time than the recipe called for and at a lower temperature, just to make sure it didn't brown or anything like that.
I think they will make wonderful ornaments once I get the girls home and we do theirs also. I will have Gabryle do another one just to give me another option. He had a blast being able to sit there and mash his hand down on the circle of dough I had him do. I guess he thought he was like Daddy in the kitchen cooking being able to stand up on the chair with me and watching me do what all I needed to do.
Gabryle's first ornament attempt.
This is the test run outcome. 
When I do our batch later today I will also add a hint of food coloring just to give the dough a little color. I colored the one good one Gabryle had today with some food coloring and I think it just looks better once you add some color to it. I'll post some pictures later once we get our final ornaments done and I have included the recipe for salt dough below.

Till Next Time!!!!

SALT DOUGH
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cup salt
3/4 cup water

1.Mix together the flour and salt till well mixed together.
2. Add water and stir until a ball of dough forms.
3. roll out in sections or a flat sheet and cut out shapes or form to desired shape.
4. bake on cookie sheet for about 2 1/2 hours at 375 watching regularly to prevent browning OR let dry for 24 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment