Thursday, October 6, 2011

School Breakfast

Yesterday, Wednesday, as I took the girls to school they convinced me to go in and sit with them while they ate breakfast. They usually always eat breakfast at school, which is pretty convenient for us, and they enjoy getting to eat breakfast with all the other kids that eat breakfast there. plus Kylie wanted me to help her get the class snack bucket to her class and to help keep up with it while she ate.
We went in and went to the cafeteria. Kylie handed me the snack bucket and she and Kenzie ran up and got in line to get their food, making sure to tell the lunch lady who takes down the names of students eating that her Mommy got to come in with them today, then we went and sat down. Kenzie picked the pop tarts and Kylie picked the frosted flakes and toast. One thing they have told me is a popular thing to do is when you eat frosted flakes, you do not use white milk, you use chocolate milk. Yeah I know it sounds not that appetizing, but as I looked up and down the table we were at, there were multiple kids eating it that way, including Kylie. She offered me to try it but I declined. I believe that is one concoction I believe I will leave to the kids to eat. Kylie was glad I was there and had me help her open her milk and even let me open her cereal just to make sure it was opened right. (she can open her milk part of the way. She just has trouble with the last part of opening a milk carton) Kenzie explained to me that she always helps Kylie with her breakfast when she needs it and sometimes they both get different things so they can share. Today however I doubt that will happen as the school is serving biscuits and gravy and it is the girls favorite meal of the week. Every Thursday they serve biscuits and gravy, and from what I have been told it is the best!
As the girls ate and we chatted I looked around and there were about five or six other parents there eating or just sitting with their kid(s). One of the other adults there at breakfast, I see and have chatted with waiting for the girls to get out of school, and she helps her daughter get her grand kids to and from school every day. She has two grand kids, one in pre-k (not Kylie's class but the one next door to hers) and one is in 1st or 2nd. I can't remember which one. I was surprised though to see her doing everything for the two boys. She went through the breakfast line and got their trays, opened everything for them, feed the youngest of the two and dumped the trays for them. To me that is a little over board on helping your children out. I can understand helping to open the cereal or milk carton, but to also feed them, get their trays and dump the trays is a little much.
When Kylie was through after eating half of the cereal and chocolate milk mixture and half of her toast, she was so happy to show me how you dump your breakfast or lunch tray and then sit back down till the bell rings to go to class. when the bell rang we headed down the hall. Kenzie told me by as we got close to Kylie's classroom and I waved to her, as she didn't want kisses. Kylie took the snack bucket as we got to her class and told me bye love you and went on in. I hollered bye and love you back at her and she looked at me and smiled then went and started getting her things unpacked and whatnot. I headed out the door and Kenzie made sure she walked slow enough she could tell me bye one more time.
Now the girls want me to come and eat lunch with them one day. I believe I will wait and see if they will be doing the Thanksgiving feast for the families again this year and go that day. It'll will also mean I get to sit through 2 lunch periods. As Kylie and the pre-k kids finishes their lunch every day, Mackenzie and the other first graders are heading in the cafeteria to start eating. They tell me every day they make sure to spot each other and wave to each other before Kylie heads out to recess.
The next time I go in with them for breakfast I might just have to make it on a biscuits and gravy day to see if the girls are right about the schools being the best they have had.

Till Next Time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment