Friday, September 2, 2011

Changing our meals...

Starting this week in our house, we are starting to eat a less starch, less carbs, and just in general more healthy. Besides just needing to start eating healthier, I had my doctor suggest the change after I had some general blood work done. (I couldn't remember the last time I had blood work done to check everything so it was suggested to have it done)

I have found it's not easy to switch over to healthier cooking. As I was making our meal list for the next few weeks, I kept wanting to go back to fixing all the heavy starchy foods and some more processed food. After two days of looking online at different recipe sites, I finally got a meal list together after two days of looking online and in some of my cookbooks and all of the cooking magazines I now have. (Thanks Mom for the Racheal Ray magazine! I love them!)

All in all, I ended up doing half of the meals new, healthier meals, and half of what we normally eat. At least this way we don't have it changed all at one time. It might not go over as well with the kids if we change everything all at once. The good thing about the kids, is they usually love trying new things. Plus I was able to find recipies with some of their favorite meats, favorite veggies, or favorite sides. I think this will help them alot liking to the new changes.

One thing we added a while ago was Tilapia. I wasn't sure if the kids would enjoy the fish, but it has become one of their favorite foods to eat! Jerrod cooks it and just adds a little salt, pepper and italian seasonings, then cooks it in a little olive oil. We usually serve some wild rice and a veggie with it, and it turns out great! As we try the new recipies I'll put a review of it up on my blog with the recipe and I'll make sure to include if the kids really enjoyed it also!

Till Next Time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment